ASTM D6179 Test Methods for Rough Handling of Unitized Loads and Large Shipping Cases and Crates
Test Methods for Rough Handling of Unitized Loads and Large Shipping Cases and Crates
Overview for ASTM D6179:
ASTM D6179 is a test method that covers general handling of unitized loads and large shipping cases or crates to replicate the effects of rough handling within its own distribution environment. This test method is a general guideline to conduct the testing accurately with repeatable procedures. Purple Diamond Testing offers ASTM D6179 Testing as part of our packaging integrity testing services. The ASTM D6179 standard provides a method for evaluating the ability of unitized loads to withstand rough handling during transportation. It specifically addresses the effect of compressive shock and horizontal vibration forces on the load. The test involves subjecting the unitized load to a series of shocks and vibrations in a controlled laboratory environment that simulates the conditions of a typical transportation cycle. The results of the test can be used to evaluate the performance of the packaging materials and the unitized load itself, and to make adjustments to improve the load’s ability to withstand rough handling. The standard is widely used in the shipping and transportation industries to ensure that products are adequately protected during transit.
Rationale for ASTM D6179:
ASTM D6179 – Test Methods for Rough Handling of Unitized Loads and Large Shipping Cases and Crates. Can be used to evaluate the performance of how unitized loads and large shipping cases or crates are used to protect their contents from hazards that occur during rough handling and shocks. Not all methods apply to a common means of rough handling. Such test variations include multiple drop tests, tip test, tip over test, and rolling test. This test method is used to create general simulation hazards in a laboratory environment that are 100% repeatable.
1. ASTM D6179 is a standard test method for measuring the ability of unitized loads to withstand rough handling.
2. The test method involves subjecting the unitized loads to a series of drops from a specified height onto a rigid steel plate.
3. The drops are repeated for a specified number of cycles, and the damage to the unitized loads is recorded after each cycle.
4. The test measures the ability of the unitized loads to resist damage from impact, vibration, and shock during transport and storage.
5. The results of the test are used to evaluate the effectiveness of packaging materials and methods in protecting the unitized loads during handling and transportation.
6. The test method provides a standardized approach for evaluating the rough handling resistance of unitized loads, which can help to ensure consistency and reliability in packaging design and testing.
7. ASTM D6179 is commonly used in industries such as automotive, electronics, and consumer goods, where unitized loads are frequently subjected to rough handling during shipping and handling.
Additionally, the rough handling of unitized loads is important because it simulates real-world conditions during shipping and handling. Unitized loads are commonly used for shipping and storage, and they can experience various types of handling and transport, such as dropping, impact, vibration, and compression. Rough handling can cause damage to the load and its contents, resulting in financial loss and safety hazards.
By subjecting unitized loads to rough handling tests, the strength and durability of the packaging materials and the load itself can be evaluated. This allows for the identification of potential weaknesses in the design and packaging materials, and for improvements to be made to ensure the safe and efficient transport of goods. Overall, the use of ASTM D6179 rough handling tests for unitized loads helps to ensure that products are delivered to their destination in good condition, and that customers receive high-quality, reliable goods.
At Purple Diamond, we offer a free consultation or a guided tour of our facilities. If you’re nearby, feel free to drop by and see our packaging and team. Consultations can be done over the phone or on zoom, so choose what suits you best. To get in touch, go to our Contact Us page and fill out the form or book an appointment using the calendar below. Our goal is to assist you in any way possible, so please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our website contact form is located at www.purple-diamond.com/contact-us, but we promise to get back to you soon, no matter which method of communication you choose. Thank you so much for reading down this far and thank you for considering Purple Diamond as your dedicated testing, engineering, and design facility for all of your packaging needs. The ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) is an international organization that develops and publishes voluntary consensus technical standards for materials, products, systems and services. These standards cover a wide range of industries, including construction, manufacturing, healthcare, petroleum, and many others. The standards help ensure product quality, safety, and performance, and are widely used by businesses, government agencies, and other organizations around the world.